Recipe: INSTANT POT VENISON (or beef) TIPS IN MUSHROOM GRAVY (GLUTEN FREE)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil or avocado oil, plus more for coating pot
- 2 1/2 pounds venison or beef stew meat or chuck roast, cut into about 1 to 1 1/2 inch cubes/pieces
- 1 medium onion, chopped,
- 2 garlic cloves, finely minced or chopped
- 16 ounces fresh mushrooms, chopped
- 2 1/4 cups beef broth or stock
- 1/4 cup red wine (substitute with more broth if desired)
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch or flour (for non-gluten free version)
- Kosher salt and coarse black pepper to taste
- Cooked brown or white rice (mashed potatoes or pasta would also work)
Hit the Sauté function on the Instant Pot and add 2 tablespoons of oil. Cook the venison or beef in batches until brown and seared on outside (will not be done on inside). Transfer to a plate and add more oil, if necessary for remaining batches. (You will get a better sear if you don’t overcrowd the pot.)
When venison or beef is done, add about 1/2 cup of the beef broth and deglaze the bottom of the pot by using a flat whisk to scrape up all of the brown bits. Add the venison into the pot along with the onion, garlic, mushrooms, wine, and Worcestershire sauce. Add remaining broth.
Place cover on securely, making sure vent is turned to “Seal”, then press the manual function and set time to 35 minutes. Use natural release.
When the venison or beef is done and after the pressure is released, remove the lid and press the sauté function again to bring to a boil. Stir together the corn starch and about 4 tablespoons of water until smooth in a measuring cup, then whisk this into the pot, stirring until mixed and thickened. Turn off sauté function. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Serve the venison or beef over rice, mashed potatoes or pasta.
Recipe from: http://loriesmississippikitchen.com/